Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Are the 'Boys gonna "come get" Earl?

Quote Originally Posted by Uglyman View Post
    If it goes Seahawks style and tradition they will trade Earl to the Boys and take Dez and maybe give their 18th pick too. It seems like every 2-3 seasons they invent some fiasco trade for some big name that is a cancer or past prime or not utilized. Dez would fill a couple of those spots and Eral would thrive in Texas.
    This made me laugh out loud. Not really funny if it was to come true though.

Well, looks like he's holding out at least of mini camp.

I'd prefer to see a fair to both sides deal get done (we've lost enough veteran leadership) but I could still see him playing with a star on his helmet this year ...

The Seahawks have some real thinking to do about the contract situations of a few veterans. They have been wringing their hands about what Aaron Rodgers' next contract will contain. Not only the $30M+ numbers but other considerations as well. Rodgers is rumored to want the ability to opt-out and re-negotiate his contract before it ends.

This thing with Earl is in addition to that.

I'm getting the feeling they're not going to resign him. They have to resign Wilson next season, and QB's are getting more expensive each season. So my guess is, they call Earl's bluff, and he plays his final season in Seattle, then lets him walk in FA next season, just so they can afford to give Wilson a new extension rather than franchise tag him.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkThisWay View Post
    I'm getting the feeling they're not going to resign him. They have to resign Wilson next season, and QB's are getting more expensive each season. So my guess is, they call Earl's bluff, and he plays his final season in Seattle, then lets him walk in FA next season, just so they can afford to give Wilson a new extension rather than franchise tag him.
    That makes a lot of sense. I am still hopeful though. Maybe we are just waiting to see who makes the team and where the holes might be before we go committing a bunch of money to one player.

Also, this is kind of like chosing the dark side or the light. Will we remain a defense first team? Or are we transitioning to QB lead team. So who's your guy?

Registered Member

If the Hawks can't better than a 3rd pick for him, no reason to trade him, as that will be the same compensation if the let him go via FA. This is the suck part of the game and salary caps, but its necessary at the same time.

I love Earl, but I don't want to give in to him. I would let him play out his deal (probably come back week 6).. then franchise him next year if we want. It seems we're rebuilding the D anyway.

Rebuilding is all good and fine, but I see no replacment for him on the roster. To me that's just settling for less with no idea how or when we could fill the gap.

Fear of the unknown is scary, but I don't think it's the smartest way to build a football team. RW's contract is huge and will be gigantic soon. We won't have a lot of choices, unless we part ways with RW and keep all our favorite players.

The Earl thing went sideways for me.
    The best FS in decades...1 SB, 1 SB fail, a few seasons of offense ineptness...career at 29 looking dismal as a Hawk perhaps.

I expected more from our core...PC and JS devalued the O-line WAY too much.

LOB is no more and question I ask...can the offense get patch worked for a good run? I am keeping finger crossed. Hawks will need to fight more than ever now. Strap up...should be fun!