Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: Aaron Hernandez commits suicide in prison

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetalseahawk View Post
    I may have read it differently than you meant it. No biggie here.
    All good Bro! I just wanted to clarify my point.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCal Hawk Fan View Post
    Crazy rule in Mass that if you are appealing a conviction and then die, your conviction is abdicated. Essentially this means that Hernandez was never convicted of murder. I wonder if the motivation to kill himself was so that his daughter could be entitled the $ owed by the Patriots from his contract because technically the contract could not be voided any longer based on him being convicted of this crime?

Feel no sadness obviously about Hernandez's death. Scumbag who got the appropriate ending.
    That's the only alternative explanation I've heard other than he was murdered by the cops that carries any water. Otherwise, that is one seriously suspicious suicide. The timing just wasn't right. Still, the acquittal cast doubt upon his first conviction and he was appealing that conviction. So if he was framed by the cops, they'd have incentive to try to end any questions about who really committed the murder. But if what you say is true, then that makes sense too.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoCal Hawk Fan View Post
    Crazy rule in Mass that if you are appealing a conviction and then die, your conviction is abdicated. Essentially this means that Hernandez was never convicted of murder. I wonder if the motivation to kill himself was so that his daughter could be entitled the $ owed by the Patriots from his contract because technically the contract could not be voided any longer based on him being convicted of this crime?

Feel no sadness obviously about Hernandez's death. Scumbag who got the appropriate ending.
    At least that would give his daughter a shot at a good life. A last respectable act to make up for giving her a bad start with his idiotic thug life choices.

Quote Originally Posted by c_hawkbob View Post
    If so it would be an honorable thing to have done; At least make his otherwise worthless life of some value to his family.
    Unlikely that he'd think it that far through ... He was a coward IMO!

F' Him and his Gangsta lifestyle that brought him to a bad end!!! Pussy!

Quote Originally Posted by ACES 13 View Post
    I am well aware of the for profit motives of the prison system in this country. I did not mean to imply everyone in prison is a D Bag. Not sure how you read that into my comment.

Perspective...

"In October 2013, the incarceration rate of the United States of America was the highest in the world, at 716 per 100,000 of the national population. While the United States represents about 4.4 percent of the world's population, it houses around 22 percent of the world's prisoners.[1] Corrections (which includes prisons, jails, probation, and parole) cost around $74 billion in 2007 according to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...rceration_rate

Apologies for political commentary
    Just to add perspective...

The US (generally) incarcerates its really bad guys (billionaires notwithstanding).
    3rd world sh!tholes have huge roving "armies" of dangerous criminals even at times working for dictators or governments.

Point being....America is not less safe than these "statistically favorable" less crowded prisons in other countries.

I don't think the children in ISIS controlled or sub Saharan warlord controlled areas would feel safer than being in America with it's skewed numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by JetCityHawk View Post

The US (generally) incarcerates its really bad guys (billionaires notwithstanding).
    3rd world sh!tholes have huge roving "armies" of dangerous criminals even at times working for dictators or governments.

Point being....America is not less safe than these "statistically favorable" less crowded prisons in other countries.

I don't think the children in ISIS controlled or sub Saharan warlord controlled areas would feel safer than being in America with it's skewed numbers.
    Comparing the US incarceration rate to Somalia and a war torn nation is not actually providing perspective at all.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetCityHawk View Post

Our numbers are skewed for one reason. Other countries handle the one problem we incarcerate for differently. That's a strongly political discussion which I will not bring up.

My context was in general to those (not saying anybody here) that think we are a violent crime infested country based solely on incarceration rates.
    I hear it all the time from Euro colleagues.