Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bevell gone?

Quote Originally Posted by GOcHOX View Post
    Bevell scripts the first 15 plays. These are always the worst 15 plays of the game. I just want an OC that will at least attempt some powers and traps with the run game too. Bevell seems that all his first half plays are exploratory, to see how the D will play them. Let's just attack and try to score some points... instead of reacting to what the D does. Make the D react to what WE do.

This is something that has always stuck me as an odd criticism, as the scripting of plays isn't something exclusive to Bevel, Holmgren did the same thing as I would imagine many (if not most) coaches do at the higher levels of football.

I realize that all OCs script the first 15 plays. Bevell is just horrible at it.

It's not the scripting of plays..... It is going almost 2 seasons without scoring a TD in the opening drive .... In the last 5 seasons they have only been above 205th in 1st Q scoring twice - ranking 16th and 185th

The problem isn't scripting, it's the results from the script

Quote Originally Posted by Dougula View Post
    This is something that has always stuck me as an odd criticism, as the scripting of plays isn't something exclusive to Bevel, Holmgren did the same thing as I would imagine many (if not most) coaches do at the higher levels of football.
    I think about those days a lot. That was so nice. Take the opening kickoff and scored almost every game. Too bad it wasn't true in playoff overtime....