Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the kick return game a thing of the past?

as to the kicking game in general,

maybe they could put on some flags for all return activities, eh?
    alternatively, start all drives after a score on the 10 (90 yards seems challenging) and for punts; instead of a punt, just start the team receiving the ball off 50 yards from where the team turning it over were at.

as for the seahawks kicking game, it is pretty clear no-e is a bit of a liability these days in that he hasn't figured out he isn't as fast as he once was. We certainly could use a better return man, but this issue is about 8th on the list of priorities behind: a new OL coach; a new lock down DB; a few talented OL linemen; a decent and durable RB; a reliable kicker; a FB who can pass pro, lead block, and catch; a ball a blocking TE with hands; a young monster Dlineman.

Even if we get a good return to the 25... there will be a penalty EVERY time.

Kick returns must stay.
    NFL is tough to do well as all the backups are fighting for field time and that is there one time to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by GOcHOX View Post
    Even if we get a good return to the 25... there will be a penalty EVERY time.
    agree. I expect a flag every return but I know there's a flag if the return gets past our 35...

Quote Originally Posted by JetCityHawk View Post
    Kick returns must stay.
    NFL is tough to do well as all the backups are fighting for field time and that is there one time to shine.
    Oh I agree. But strategically it doesn't make sense anymore. Teams still do it though, I just can't see why.

The punt game must stay but I've been arguing that that we should get rid of kickoffs for years.

Kickoffs are worthless now. I agree with the sentiment that they're probably still active due to commercial time.

Registered Member

I also thought I read somewhere that the data shows that most concussions happen on the KO. Assuming that info is true, the league is certainly going to try and get rid of it. I thought that prompted the rule change to moving the ball to the 25 on kneel downs.